Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Pool Halls in Heaven, BEWARE!

Pool halls in heaven beware, there is a new player in town, so grab your wallets!

My father passed away last Friday, at 11:48 am, and it was a beautiful thing. My parents mortality has always been my biggest fear. They mean so damn much to me, and I always thought I should go before they did. Dad's ordeal really opened my eyes, and had it not been for my sisters and mom, what I had feared became the most amazing experience of my life.

I always maintained that I had two heros in life. They were people who really shaped my interests. But, now I have many new heroes. Let's start with my sisters. Dian, Jocelyn, Marcia and Susie were by my dad's side constantly during his last two weeks. They exhibited more strength than I ever could muster. They would rub dad's feet and hands, clean him, talk to him, scold him for not eating, in essence making his last days on this earth as quality filled as anyone could imagine. Jocelyn opened up her home, not only for Dad's last days, but anyone who wanted to enter, whether to see Dad, or just to hang out. All four of them made themselves available at all times, kept up on his medication, questioned doctors orders that didn't feel right, the list goes on and on.

When Dad was "in the prison", meaning the adult care home near Jocelyns house in Renton, they were there daily, sacrificing family time, because they all knew what they were doing was absolutely the right thing. Their support of my feelings and commitments during this time will never be forgotten.

When we went through this a little over a year ago, due to issues at the job I had at the time, and my fears of my fathers demise, I took the path of least resistance, and withdrew from the reality. They understood that this wasn't an easy thing for me to go through, we all talked about it, and I resolved that it was going to be different the next time around. I hope that I met with their approval.

Mom was her strong self as well, visiting with Dad every day, making sure that he knew that he was loved, not only by her, but by Fritz and Kimo as well. Seeing Fritz and Kimo not leaving Dad's bed until the very end was one of the coolest parts of the process.

My neice Brooke falls into the hero category as well. She, along with my sisters, put her life on hold for the duration, to make sure her Grandpa's last days were filled with love and care. She would bring humor into the room, and I know that Dad loved her very very much. Her support of Jocelyn and my sisters was at the very least impressive.

To the "adopted" family members, Sherrie, Marilu and Karina, Katie, and my cousins Carol and Annette, thank you for joining us. I'm sure there are many more that need to be included here, and I apologize for not naming you. Our family, and my parents in particular, always welcome our friends into the family, and once you're in, it's a bitch to get out!

It was my wish not to be in Dad's room when he took his last breath. Both Marcia and I felt the same way, and all involved respected our wishes. My brother in law Nigel called me at work right after he died, and told me it was over. I got down to Jocelyns house as soon as I could, and Mom asked if I wanted to see him. I struggled on the way down to Renton as to how I was going to handle this whole deal. I did want to see him, and it was unreal. To use a tired cliche, he looked like he was asleep.

My sisters had made sure that he was dressed, as his dignity had suffered enough, and they wanted to go out with as much diginity as they could. For that, I will be forever grateful. I spent some time with him, thanking him for all he had done for me and my family, and told him to have a great time in the next chapter. He was an amazing father, friend, and supporter. When it came time for him to be taken away, I was honored to be the one who stood by mom's side, listening to Fritz growl as the people from the mortuary took him away. I held the door open to the van, said goodbye, and away he went. An incredible experience, to say the least.

I highly encourage you to read my sister Susie's blog, which can be found at this address http://slk-susiesblog.blogspot.com/index.html/ She is a great writer, and her blogs should be required reading.

Thanks to all who were aware of my father's situation. We will be having a party in his honor at 2pm this Saturday, June 16 at Jocelyns house, and we'll send him out with a bang.

- Steve Mortland

No comments: